Thursday, April 10, 2014

So Full of Knowing

Pine

Fuqua

Beaumont


I know a cure for sadness:
Let your hands touch something that
makes your eyes smile.

I bet there are a hundred objects close by
that can do that."

Mirabai (1498 - 1565)

16th - Century Indian Mystic


I think Mira might have meant dogs & cats, don't you?
Likewise, the following anecdote from St. John of the Cross
works with dogs and cats, as well as rabbits:

I was sad one day and went for a walk;
I sat in a field.

A rabbit noticed my condition and
came near.

It often does not take more than that to help at times -

to just be close to creatures who
are so full of knowing,
so full of love
that they don’t
- chat,

they just gaze with
their
marvelous understanding.

St. John of the Cross (1542 - 1591)

16th - Century Spanish Mystic


Both of the above proverbs,
along with many other favorites, can be found in
Mala of the Heart: 108 Sacred Poems
edited by Ravi Nathwani & Kate Vogt
Thanks to my friend Lani for her
generous gift of this lovely inspirational book!

No comments:

Post a Comment